Saturday 8 October 2016

Vitamin P

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3 ESV

Before we came to Christ we were the centre of our own world. Everything revolved around us and our desires, aspirations and needs. When we came to Christ we abdicated the throne of our life and allowed him to sit in it instead. We found a better way; putting Jesus first, and then others before ourselves.

However as may of us have discovered. It is not a one-off decision that settled the matter in our hearts forever. There is a need to keep coming back to the cross on a daily basis and surrendering our life over again. Choosing day by day not to live as if it was all about me but living for Christ and putting others first.

I like to think of it like a vitamin. Vitamins are nutrients that are required by the body for healthy life but that cannot be synthesised internally. They have to be taken in regularly. This attitude of Christ is like a vitamin. I cannot synthesise it from within myself, I have to choose to take it from him and make it a part of me. I need it regularly, even daily. Because this attitude is best described in this passage in Philippians (Philippians 2:1-11). I call it "Vitamin P."

I have found for my own spiritual life and health I need to keep coming back to this passage and this attitude. Regularly examining and adjusting my attitudes to make them more like Christ's. I need my regular dose of vitamin P!

No comments:

Post a Comment