Tuesday 4 October 2016

Pillars in the house

He set up the pillars at the vestibule of the temple. He set up the pillar on the south and called its name Jachin, and he set up the pillar on the north and called its name Boaz.
1 Kings 7:21 ESV

I wish I had some deep spiritual insight and revelation to share on the significance of the two names Solomon chose. Jachin was a son of Simeon. Boaz was the husband of Ruth and Solomon's great-great grandfather. Jachin's name comes from a root word meaning to establish. Boaz's name is not so clear. Something to do with either fleetness or strength. That's about as much as I've got.

However it is significant that there were two pillars. For forty years in the wilderness Israel has been led by two pillars. A pillar of cloud by day, and a pillar of fire by night. (Of course this could have been the same pillar, with a different appearance by night than by day, but in the scriptures it is always described as if they were two.) So for forty years the people of God has been led out and led in by these two pillars. Now whenever they went in or came out of God's house it would be between two pillars.

It is also significant, because actually Solomon was not the first to build a house for the Lord. Jacob had an encounter with God where he saw the angels of God ascending and descending and he named the place Bethel, meaning, house of God. To mark the spot he raised a stone as a pillar and anointed it. Years later when he returned from his time with his uncle Laban, he had another encounter with God in the same place. This time God changed his name to Israel. In response, Jacob raised and anointed another stone pillar and once gain called the place, Bethel, house of God. So the first house of God was marked by two anointed pillars.

What I think is more significant is that Solomon named them. Whilst I might not have revelation on the names themselves, just the fact that they were given names at all is meaningful. Pillars being described as people is not far removed from people being described as pillars. This reminds me of Revelation 3...

The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.
Revelation 3:12 ESV

The named pillars that remain forever in God's house represent those who overcome. That's us!

The pillars were like doorkeepers who remain forever in God's presence.

For a day in your courts is better
than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Psalm 84:10 ESV

And the gatekeepers represent the leaders in the church and ultimately Christ himself.

I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.
John 10:9 ESV

Completing the circle, it is interesting then that Paul refers to the leaders in the church as pillars.

James, Cephas and John, those esteemed as pillars... 
Galatians 2:9 NIV

The house of God needs pillars that are named. Anointed leaders. Those through whom the flock come in and go out and find safe pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment