Sunday 9 October 2016

I like it heavy!

Sing to him a new song; play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
Psalm 33:3 ESV

I remember back in the '80s there seemed to be a paranoia amongst Christian circles about rock music. Anyone would have thought that Satan had given up his day job as accuser of the brethren and taken up a career composing heavy-metal!

I'm glad that attitudes have moved on. But there still seems to be a bias towards soft contemplative acoustic playing. Often this gets labelled as "worship music" as if it was the officially sanctioned genre of choice of heaven itself.

Personally, whilst I appreciate the quiet contemplative times in the presence of God and the appropriate music that assists it, it's not the type of music I would choose to listen to for my own enjoyment.

I like my music with a bit more life and energy. I like it loud. I like to hear the skillful playing of the strings of virtuosos. Men like Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, and Slash.

What I find interesting in the scriptures is that God enjoys loud music and skillful fretwork too! I think many believers will get a shock when they get to heaven to find it's not all quiet acoustic sessions.

"Worship music" is not just one specific genre, but encompasses every creative expression of musical excellence that comes from the creative heart of God himself and was given to man as a heavenly gift to offer back to God as a vehicle for praise.

If you are looking for me in glory I'll be over in the loud corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment